You must select a location to proceed.
There was a problem adding this course to your account. Please try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, you can contact our support department at (877) 880-1335.
Adding Registration, Please wait...
You must be logged in to perform this action.
Prevention of Medical Errors for Florida Physicians
This course satisfies the Florida Board of Medicine requirement and also the Florida Board of Osteopathic Medicine requirement for its renewal cycle 2020-2022.
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT YOU WILL HAVE 90 DAYS TO COMPLETE THIS COURSE FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE.This activity is specific to Florida statutes and reflects regulations effective March 2020 (MDs) and September 2020 (DOs). Few medical errors are attributed to faculty medical judgment. More commonly, they are attributed to system failures inherent in healthcare delivery. This particular course, originally recorded during FMA 2021 Annual Meeting, features the mandatory content required by the Florida Boards of Medicine and Osteopathic Medicine for prevention of medical errors, including root cause analysis, error reduction and prevention, patient safety, and the most commonly mis-diagnosed conditions identified by the two Boards.
Florida Board of Medicine
Florida Board of Osteopathic Medicine
- Cancer related conditions
- Gastroenterology related conditions
- Ob/Gyn related conditions
- Cardiology related conditions
- Neurological conditions
The purpose of this educational activity is to provide physicians with information, tools and strategies to minimize common performance and diagnostic errors.
- Inappropriate prescribing of controlled substances
- Failure to monitor the safety of prescribed medications
- Retained foreign objects in surgery and wrong site/patient surgery
- Failure to accurately diagnose cause of back and leg pain; and
- Failure to timely diagnose sepsis
At the conclusion of this presentation, the participant will be able to:
- Identify Risk Management measures designed to prevent medical errors & enhance patient safety
- Recognize common medication errors
- Implement key strategies for preventing medication errors in the outpatient setting
- Describe surgical errors, contributing factors, and solutions to prevent them
- Specify the elements of root cause analysis
- Discuss the five most misdiagnosed conditions during the previous biennium as determined by the Florida Boards of Medicine Osteopathic Medicine
- Meet the requirements set forth by Florida Statutes FS 456.013(7)
Jerry Williamson, MD, FAAP, MJ, CHC, LHRM, FMA Member and Independent Healthcare Consultant
No individual in a position to control the content of this activity has reported relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies. No commercial support was provided for this activity.
Estimated Completion Time: Two Hours
Instructions for earning credit: Learner must review all course materials and complete the course evaluation.
Issue Date: December 15, 2021
Expiration Date: December 31, 2023
|2 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ (Enduring Material)
The Florida Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Florida Medical Association designates this enduring material for a maximum of 2 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Optimizing the Use of the PDMP Database
So You Want To Be A Physician Executive
Emotional Intelligence Series: 2. Self-Management - Leader versus Manager
HIV/AIDS in Florida
Prescribing Controlled Substances for MD/DO Prescribers
Human Trafficking - Recognition, Response, and Referral
Safe and Effective Prescribing of Controlled Substances for PAs and APRNs
Florida Laws, Rules & Ethics
Florida Physician Medical Marijuana Course
Professionalism in Medicine